Lessons from Drugs to Devices: A Pediatric Perspective
Considerable progress has been made to advance pediatric drug research and to ensure appropriate drug product labeling for children. The Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act (BPCA) provides drug manufacturers with significant incentives to pursue pediatric drug research. Analogous efforts have been made in the pediatric device arena. Namely, the 2007 Pediatric Medical Device Safety and Improvement Act (PMDSIA) was a well-intentioned step to narrow the gap. Great strides have been made and still much needs to be done. Among the 22 medical devices approved through the PMA process for use in a pediatric subpopulation, only one device was indicated for use in patients under age 18 and few pediatric patients were exposed to the devices before market availability.
To address this challenge, the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation will be hosting a conference on October 24, 2014 in Washington DC. The conference theme is: “Lessons from Drugs to Devices: A Pediatric Perspective.” The conference will bring together a diverse group of experts representing multiple disciplines (life sciences, medicine, engineering, law, and regulatory affairs) and sectors (industry, government, academe, and advocacy).
The objectives of the conference are:
• To forge consensus on critical issues germane to pediatric surgical innovation;
• To identify concrete, achievable action items and assigning them to relevant parties;
• To establish a set of scientific, clinical, regulatory, and policy recommendations required to advance the field;
• To agree upon a select and targeted publication, presentation, legislative, regulatory, appropriate media strategy and targeted outreach campaign to forward conference objectives.
- Dynamic Keynote Speakers and Plenary Sessions
- Issue-Oriented Program Discussions
- Participation by 250+ stakeholders from FDA, NIH, capitol hill, children's hospitals, medtech and biotech companies, and payors
- Closing Reception on the spectacular 8th Floor Terrace of the Knight Conference Center at the Newseum in Washington, DC
- Presentation of the Sheikh Zayed Prizes for Pediatric Surgical Innovation
- Networking opportunities throughout the event